Calabrian Chile Butter
A creamy, spicy spread that is great stirred into hot pasta or to top grilled meat or poultry.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 10-ounce jar oil-packed Calabrian chiles
- ¾ cup chopped garlic (about 1 head)
- ¾ cup chopped shallots (about 2)
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 scallions, dark green parts only, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus more
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-low. Cook chiles, garlic, and shallots, stirring occasionally, until soft but without taking on color, 10–12 minutes; let cool completely.
- Transfer chile mixture to a blender, add butter, and blend to combine. Add scallions, cilantro, parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, mustard, paprika, and 2 Tbsp. salt. Pulse to combine. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Roll into a log, wrap in cellophane and refrigerate.